The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Sunday, November 7, 2010

"Our Instant Five"

Just two short weeks after we were married, Scott and I had the opportunity to stay with the five kids that I nanny for 5 whole days! (I help get the two older girls off to school and then home school Rachel, 6, and Hannah, 4). It was such an amazing experience for us. We set off Monday right after Scott got off of work for Idaho Falls to begin our adventure. We had an amazing time! We got to do everything we would do if we were real parents! We got to get the kids ready for school, to take them to ballet and gymnastics, to help with homework and sign reading logs! It was great! We got to wake up with a crying baby boy one night and take care of him. It just reaffirmed our strong desire for children and the joy that can be gained only through an eternal family. I'll tell the stories and memories we made as we go through the pictures :) That's more interesting anyways :P

Each night we were there, I did story time with the girls before bed. They love books! And I love kids all over and around me. So it all worked out. It was great to read Amelia Bedelia with the girls and to watch as they understood each pun in the book. They are so smart!
Tuesday, as our morning snack, we had english muffins. The kids loved them! In fact, Hannah told her mom on the phone that night that we had "Cookies, with butter!" It was hilarious! This is Hannah who literally got caught being naughty!
Wednesday morning was...eventful. Now, lets preface this with some facts about Scott and poop. He hates changing poopy diapers. He isn't opposed to changing our kids' diapers. He isn't opposed to changing his nieces' or nephews' diapers. But other peoples' kids' diapers are an issue. So Wednesday morning, after the normal oatmeal with fruit, I smell Michael. He's poopy. So I proceed to pick him up and carry him to his room. Only when I actually start to take his PJ's off do I realize that he has poop up his back! So I begin changing the diaper. I have changed poopy diapers from age 3. They don't bother me. But for some reason, I couldn't handle it! I was gagging left and right. I was serisouly thinking that I must be pregnant (PS I'M NOT!) because I had never reacted like that before! So I call for Scott. And he came in and saw the situation and took control. He changed the diaper, bathed the kid, and then rinsed out the pajamas in the tub. I came in to help and he was already rinsing the soiled PJ's. I pointed out, somewhat sarcastically and in the tone of "Nanner, nanner boo boo" that he was touching someone else's kids' poop. He just said, "Now you know I love you" and continued to the end. This is him at his triumphant finish :)
Wednesday was Laurie's birthday. She was turning 10! So Rachel blew up the balloons...well, more like, she tried, but Scott had to finish. We told her that it looked like the balloon was blowing her up!
Mike enjoying a huge balloon that ended up being the first of about 50 to pop!
Rachel working on a puzzle that I had brought. These girls LOVE puzzles! They're great at them. We've done a 200 piece before, and they're only 6 and 3!
Our idea of decorating for the "party."
Hannah was missing for a while during mine and Rachel's decoration spree. I went to investigate and found her in her room, playing with her Ariel barbies and Care Bears. (I kid you not, she is obsessed with ariel. She must have 10 dolls)
This is probably the cutest face he's ever made. I was talking to him and looked over and he held it for about 30 seconds while I got the camera out. He's such a ham!
Laurie opening presents with Simon in her way.
Laurie and Seth (you can barely see 'im). Sandy brought her kids out and made a pretty healthy carrot cake. It was delicious!
Make a wish Laurie!
After doing school with Rachel for about half an hour and trying to fight Michael away from the bananas and apples, I decided that it was Scott's turn to play with our little man. I guess he'd rather play with our little girl...
Mike loves getting into things! We found he has a cycle of things he'll get into. First the fruit on the table. Then the drawers, then the pantry. And then all over again! Good thing he's so darn cute!
Rachel, surprised that I was catching her reading on camera :)
Hannah, posing with her 100 piece Disney Princess puzzle that she completed by herself, starting, of course, with Ariel.
My little man eating a graham cracker and turning to kiss me :D
Scott played SO MANY games of Skipbo with the kids! I'm sure we wore those cards out by the end of the week. The girls loved it!
Swingin' with the Hannah. She's Scott's little buddy.

He's just SO cute!

As you can plainly see, we enjoyed this week with the kids. Hannah and Rachel still ask to call Scott on a daily basis, almost a month later! The other day, I had to put Hannah in timeout (the first one since I've been working there, to her credit) and she threw a tantrum in her room. I went to get her out and asked if she would like to sit quietly and listen to scriptures before eating lunch and she said, "Sure, but you know this never would have happened if Scott were here!" In the mornings she asks for help with her prayers and they sound like this ever morning:
Shiloh: Dear Heavenly Father
Hannah: Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for Scott...(looking up at me) Now what?!
I absolutely love these children. They are such a joy in my life, and I love working with them at school and play. Can't wait to have our own family!

1 comment:

  1. Hi scott!! Sorry Shiloh we haven't met you yet. Nate used to be Scott's roommate and I used to be Courtney's roommate and I found your blog on her blog. I just wanted to say your wedding pics. are beautiful and Nate and I really wished we could have come to your wedding!

    ReplyDelete