The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Orange Chicken...From Scratch

Today I decided to be gutsy and try something new. Something that would take longer than half an hour. It turned out to be...an adventure. Ellie has been teething something awful. She's been up during the night, up early in the morning, taking crappy naps, etc. So I threw her in the hiking backpack and set to work. You can find the recipe here. Please excuse the name of the website...but if I'm being perfectly honest, it was :)
Hand squeezing oranges for juice was harder than I thought it would be. Especially while 22 weeks pregnant and holding a baby in front and one in back and the one in the front is kicking my bladder and the one in the back is pulling all my baby hairs that don't reach my pony tail. And the toddler is anxiously trying to "help" me with the raw chicken...
But after I got the chicken into the marinade, Scott got home for his dinner break (he's working a webcast tonight). So he took the backpack. :) And helped me fry the chicken. I forgot how much I love cooking with him. We cook together a lot, but it's usually one of us wrestling the kids and checking in on the other. Tonight was really nice. We made a new recipe, one that wasn't hard, but was new and not exactly simple. We danced around each other in the kitchen and laughed when I accidentally got a shell in the fried rice :) It was really fun. And also our kids were really good. Addy played a game on the iPad and Ellie smiled and laughed on her daddy's back. It was really nice. Anyway, here are some pictures. :)


 Sorry this picture is rotated weird. I can't figure it out and I don't want to :) But this is the finished product! It was SO yummy!
Overall. It tasted delicious! It took over an hour. So, would I do it again? Only if Scott is home and the girls are being good. Otherwise, the frozen stuff is alright... :P

Also worth noting: This week, Scott has FINALLY been able to feel the baby move! Because of the way my placenta is arranged in there, it took longer for us both to feel her. It's so special once he can feel her because then it's more real. I'm not the only one who can bond with this baby. I love waking up and having Scott tell me that in a moment of wakefulness he felt our little baby wiggle :) First because I am so glad he felt it, and second, because I am grateful that I didn't get woken up! I love it. Overall, I dislike being pregnant. Is it worth it? Of course! But I don't enjoy it. Except this part. I love this part. And I forgot how much I liked it. There's a life growing inside me. She has fingers and toes and is a playful little thing! She wiggles and dances and kicks. She plays with her chord (we watched on the ultrasound). She has a heart that beats twice as fast as mine. She has lungs and a diaphragm and a stomach and kidneys. She's a real person. And I get to carry her. I feel both incredibly blessed. And sometimes very uncomfortable :) Anyway, food and babies, babies and food. That's what you get tonight!

1 comment:

  1. Yummmmm! My favorite meal. Will you make it next time I come, if I promise not to bring the whole tribe?

    ReplyDelete