The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, January 27, 2015

Take a Deep Breath and Here We Go

I may have to delete facebook. I seriously get too wrapped up in things. Today at devotional, it was announced that come April we will have a new president at our school. Scott has spent lots of time supporting events and firesides with President Clark as an audio engineer and has grown so much as a result. I believe that President Clark is an inspired man. He is an intelligent man. He is a wise leader. He is a kind leader. On the posts of news articles on Facebook about this change, I have seen several comments that have blown my mind and made my heart hurt.

First there are the comments that are just plain rude such as "this isn't news" or "who cares?" Well, judging as this was posted by a LOCAL news channel and over half the population of Rexburg is somehow involved with the school, I would say that it's probably noteworthy. At least as noteworthy as the weather man's guesses. :)

Then there are the comments about the honor code and how "hey, maybe shorts and flip flops will come to campus now." To those people. Oh boy. I can't even do this tactfully. Shut up. Your ignorance is mind blowing. Do you really think that the honor code is President Clark's idea? Because you do realize it's been around since the university became a four year school...a good long while before President Clark. And guess what? That's not even solely up to the president. There's committees and votes and counsels for everything. If anything I hope that President Gilbert cracks down like crazy because the disobedience and shameful dishonoring of the agreement EVERYONE here signed is seriously ridiculous.

Then there are the comments about how it's going to be great to have a younger guy in the office. Yes, there are benefits to fresh blood, for sure. But (and again, my husband works closely with President Clark on many technical ventures) you will not find a more tech savvy man than Kim B. Clark! He's a genius and his ideas stretch the A/V and other crews around campus. And if you're implying that a younger man will be more "up with the times" again, you're ignorant. Because guess what? God helped pick this younger man. And while he's younger you can bet he has the same testimony and standards as President Clark, who, by the way, probably wishes he were far less in touch with the issues of the rising generation.

And then there's just the incessant arguing that ensues. Like when I post that I'm grateful for President Clark and his efforts and progress, people feel the need to criticize and argue in a super negative way. Referring to President Clark as my "Dear Leader" and pointing out that I spelled BYU-Idaho wrong (didn't hyphenate on my phone while my three children under 3 were climbing all over me). Honestly you guys. I just can't handle this.

SO here's my thing. If you don't like it, GO SOMEWHERE ELSE. There are hundreds of thousands of universities all over the world. But here's the kicker. They can't get in there. They can't afford to go there. That's the thing. It's entitlement written all over this. They feel that they should be able to go to this school, wear and do whatever they want, and have half their education paid for by tithing dollars (which, btw to the man who commented referring to them as "my tithing dollars" are NOT yours, but the Lord's). And that, my friends, is entitlement at its finest.

This is so frustrating to me. Here's a man who, after being appointed by the Lord, spent 10 years at this university making it better to the best of his ability (which is all anyone can ask). Widening its influence to the world through the Pathway program. Educating the maximum amount of students for the least amount of money. And what does he get? Negativity and ignorance. So this is what I'm saying. If you've run a university for 10 years, graduated from Harvard, served your entire life in time consuming church leadership callings and had a successful marriage and raised successful children, I'd love to chat. Other than that, get your head ... (that vulgar comment was for you Marlee :)


No comments:

Post a Comment