The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 19, 2014

3 Under 3 for 3 Weeks

Being a mom is hard. I know I usually sing the happy song about how wonderful motherhood is and how much I love it and how great a calling it is etc. And I mean every word. But let's just be clear here. Sometimes being the mom kind of sucks. Grace doesn't sleep. My other two slept great from day one. I've never known true sleep deprivation. But she usually averages 2 hours at a time during the night. During the day she sleeps like a log. Like, no amount of naked chilliness will wake her. But at night she wants to be up every hour and a half. And after 3 weeks of sleep deprivation, I'm toast. The electrical pulses in my brain that make up common sense, preventative thinking, and patience have turned from lightning quick pulses to sludge. If I think something, I think it too late. Like this morning when Addy gagged and I didn't even register it. And then my mom told me that she was gagging. And I didn't even register it. And then she puked and finally I realized, "Oh crap! I should grab her a bucket or get her to the sink!" Which was, of course, too late. And so I got out my scrub brush and cleaned cocoa mo's our of my white carpet.
I have been counting down days until my mom got here for months. I have literally been almost more excited about that than about having the baby that was the cause of her trip. And my poor mom. Monday night, after our kids were in bed (except Ellie who is teething), Scott and I headed off to see a movie. I needed a break! And while there, my mom texts that everything is fine but Ellie isn't exactly asleep, but rather, finishing a bath. She'd thrown up. We also realized that Grace was spitting up more than usual and it consisted mostly of snot. After a quick call to my doctor we figured it was probably nothing. Dr. Jones said not to worry unless my other two were coughing or fevering and then maybe we should check. Addy coughed all night. My mom and I loaded up the kids Tuesday morning and took them to the office. The verdict? Bronchitis. And Gracie has an ear infection :( Which he was really surprised about because he "doesn't see them in babies this little." Great. So she's two and a half weeks old on an antibiotic. She still struggles breathing. Then Addy woke up around 11 last night throwing up. After a fierce battle against tomato sauce puke and white carpet, we got her back to bed, only to be woken up 3 times more with puking. Luckily she made it to the toilet, which I am immensely grateful for. Today she threw up literally every time she took a drink. Or ate one bite. Until about 4 this afternoon. She ate a rather large dinner, and I find myself praying every time I hear her cough that I won't be cleaning hot dog and watermelon out of my carpet...
While I am so glad that I have my mom here to help me, I am also so mad. I was planning on having a fun week with Mimi and getting things done and relaxing and simply enjoying my three beautiful, wonderful, perfect children. Instead, Addy is sick, and also being a total attention monster. Grace can't breathe and I can't sleep. And Ellie is getting her eye teeth. My mom says it's these times that define who we are. So maybe I should change my attitude. But sheesh. I'll be honest. Sometimes being a mom isn't fun. It isn't glamorous, and it isn't appreciated. (My mom, however, is feeling VERY appreciated this week :)
But I guess it makes you appreciate it that much more when Mimi takes the older two home with her for a few days and you can actually take a nap!
I can't help it. I have to end positively. Because today Addy snuggled me for half an hour and just read books with me. She told me she loves me when I tucked her in. And she slept so peacefully. And Grace smiles in her sleep, which she does with her eyes open. And Ellie had a laughing fit while I tickled her. So even though sometimes being the mom sucks, sometimes it's pretty great too. And those times are more often than the first.

1 comment:

  1. I'm so sorry your girls are all.sick. Hope things get better. I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets frustrated with being a mom sometimes. I agree the positive side being a mom always weighs more than the negative side. Thanks for posting. Hope the girls get feeling better and you can get some sleep. Big hugs beautiful mama.

    ReplyDelete