The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, October 14, 2015

Happy Birthday, Addy!

I have been a parent for four years. Four years. When I think about that span of time, it doesn't sound like much. After all, it's only four years. But when you really think about it, four years is a long time to do anything! Like, high school for example. That was "only 4 years" and yet it lasted  a lifetime. When I look back on Addy's life I think, "the past four years have literally flown by!" And at the same time I think about everything I have done, dealt with, and learned in these four years and it quickly turns into an eternity because there is so much. I've given birth without an epidural (it wasn't by choice and I'll never do it again I surely hope). I've struggled with breastfeeding and mastitis. I've nursed a kid back to health from any illness you can name (strep, RSV, hand, food and mouth to name a few). I've been mother to a 16 month old in a body cast for a month after she broke her femur. I've tried my hardest to teach respect and kindness. I've corrected mistakes and applauded success. I've wept over my inadequacies. I've even occasionally patted myself on the back for a parenting scenario well-handled. I've learned to love unconditionally. I've learned to keep going when I'm tired and when it's time to take a step back and let some things go. When I think about everything Addy has taught me in the last four years I realize that I can't remember not having her in my life. And I don't want to. She made me a mother. She is the real-life manifestation of all my dreams coming true. She is my daughter. And I'm so grateful for these four years I've had with her and the many more to come!

Look at me! I'm so good at making other peoples' days all about me! This was Addy's day! Happy birthday my sweet girl!

Addy loves to play. She's constantly saying "I want to do something fun with you!" Her imagination is wilder than mine, which is saying quite a bit. She dreams vividly and remembers them and tells them to her sisters at breakfast. She loves to teach. Lately she's been learning how to do something and then helping Ellie learn to do it too. Letters and numbers are no problem for Addy. She loves flashcards and matching games. Grandpa's Lee's competitiveness got into her blood and this girl loves to win! She's getting really good at following rules and learning strategy. Go Fish and Candy Land are among her favorite games. She hates chores, but pushes through them. She likes to be my errand girl though and that's rather nice :) She is a negotiator. She knows how to get what she wants and tricks me into it all the time. She loves her sisters. She plays with them and reads to them. She LOVES books and memorizes them at an incredible efficiency. There is no skipping words or lines when trying to shorten a bedtime story.

All in all, this girl is a fire ball. And I love her. Here are a few pictures from her birthday celebration. A day all about Addy!

We started out with banana pancakes with "Daddy's special syrup" (homemade buttermilk) and whipped cream. :)



Then, we read and played until quiet time when Addy helped decorate her cake. She did most of it on her own! I was so proud of her! She did a better job than I could most likely!





 Next we decorated these crowns to use for our party hats :) I didn't get any pictures of the actual decorating because I was a lot a bit busy policing the sharpies (they were the only kind that would write on it!) and glue. But the girls loved it. They each decorated three, one for themselves and two for our guests.






 Next we ate a marvelous dinner of, you guessed it, pizza. Addy was in heaven. Then we played pin the gem on the crown. Addy's daddy was nice enough to cut her out a big crown and mom cut out some very asymmetrical gems :)


Even Grace wanted in on the fun! She was so cute about it. But she DID NOT want to be blindfolded!


Next we opened gifts. Addy was so spoiled :) She got some bath tub princess toys, some Melissa and Doug cutting food, mixing utensils and bowls, and a game from mom and dad. From Mimi she got a computer and from Tony she got play-do and a cute bag. She was in heaven. She says her food is her favorite, but she's been playing with that computer from Mimi an awful lot...Shall we call it a draw? :)


 And then, of course, cake and ice cream!


 This morning we got up and played cooks. Then Addy chilled on the couch with her computer for a while before we all played play-doh. Happy birthday Addy, I hope you loved it!





No comments:

Post a Comment