The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Humpty Dumpty, a True Story Part II

Okay. So we left off with me getting home from Vegas. I was refreshed and ready to spend all my time with my broken little egg. She was happy to see her dad and I, but more especially her dad. We attempted church on Sunday but only made it through sacrament meeting. She is still the same little girl. She still hates holding still and being quiet. :)
Addy loves cuddling with Ellie. In fact, I have to watch to be sure she doesn't crawl all over her in her hard cast...

 Because we were in Vegas for Daddy's birthday, Addy and I made him a cake Monday before he left. I know my cake making isn't very great, but that brown thing on the left is a coffin :) My husband is THIRTY years old. Gross! lol.



Before he left, Scott helped me to "petal" the edges of Addy's cast with waterproof tape to avoid bodily fluids getting in there. Really though, there is no preventing it. That cast stinks. Addy was not very happy about this whole situation...
Monday she had an xray appointment to make sure her bones were all still lined up. We talked with Dr. Dunlap's P.A., Bryan. He seemed to think she looked great and her bones were still where they needed to be. We breathed a sigh of relief and resigned ourselves to the fact that even though it had been the longest week of our life, we had 5 more to go. But we could do it.
However, the next day, I get a call saying that Dr. Dunlap would like another xray in only a week to make sure that the bones weren't slipping...this sounded kind of off after what Bryan had said. It sounded like he thought she may need surgery, but I couldn't get a straight answer out of the guy! All my fears came flooding back and I was stressed as stressed could be. And Scott left for Rexburg to go back to work on Tuesday, which didn't help. I had had several people recommend that I take Addy to Shriners hospital to ensure that the information and care we were receiving was accurate. So Wednesday, my mom and I trekked to Shriners' fracture clinic at 7:30 in the morning. The doctor there peeked at her xray and said she looked perfectly perfect and that there was no need for another xray. He also deemed that the cast was still too tight, which is what I had thought too, and loosened it. He cut the section between her belly button and bottom and put some wedges in to hold it. I felt very calm and relaxed, which I hadn't felt at any time in the process. We cancelled our appointment with Dr. Dunlap and decided to wait until we were back home to do any more xrays. At this point, it was still a week until Scott was supposed to come and get me. I missed him pretty bad, but was so grateful to be in Spokane where I had tons of help.
I enjoyed the time with my mom and siblings, and so did Addy :) I didn't take many pictures because I was pretty consistently busy :P This little girl loves to smile and talk and coo and giggle. I love her!
 Here Addy is playing with some toys that my moms' good friend brought over. We felt so loved by my Spokane ward.



It appears dangerous, I know. But trust me, this girl was NOT going to skip the swing AND the slide. And there was no way she was getting on the slide. So I put her "froggy pillow" in and pushed her very mellowly...She would have preferred to go much higher, I'm sure.

 Ellie became even more the thumb sucker, and even more the smiler. She is the perfect baby. She puts herself to sleep and sleeps through the night. It's incredible.
 Proof that she really is happy :) I love my little broken legged girl!
Cast care continues to be a bummer. Addy hates not being able to be in the water. The kids got to go swimming and stuff and she couldn't. It broke my heart. The cast can't get wet. However, there is no way to prevent it from getting some pee in it :( It's sad. She kinda stinks...we bought some spray on deodorant to cover the smell, but we can't really do anything else. I feel like we are constantly retaping the cast with water proof tape and trying to make sure it's not cutting her. She hates water in her ears, so it's not the greatest to lean her over the sink and wash her hair beauty parlor style. It stinks. She has to be wearing a bib when she eats so that crumbs don't get in there and rot or something...Ick. 

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment