The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Tuesday, June 25, 2013

So This Is What Cloud Nine Feels Like...

I was very nervous to be home from my parents' house with the two girls by myself all day. Addy always has a hard first week back home from Spokane because she gets so much attention there that she kind of goes through withdrawals  I could only imagine what it would be like in a hip-spica cast. Yikes. But, much to my amazement, Addy settled right into life back home. She seemed to really enjoy having her own toys and space back. We even set up her toddler bed :) She has been really great through this whole thing. 
The Friday after we got back (June 21) Addy had some follow up xrays here in town. The radiologist said she looked great, in fact I had to tell him where her break even was. I expected a call from the doctor on Monday saying that everything looked great and we could take the cast off at the originally planned 6 week mark. But Monday, when the nurse called, she said, "Hey, so Doctor left me a message that he wants me to get you guys in here soon, but he didn't say why." I entered panic mode immediately. Maybe he just wants to go over the plan, I tried to tell myself. Maybe he wants to discuss maintenance. Maybe he wants to let us know we can get the cast off early. But the more I thought about it, the more nervous I got. I've always had a great imagination (my mother can attest to that) and so, of course, all the worst things were crossing my mind. It's not healing right. They're going to have to do surgery. He wants to leave the cast on longer. 
Well it turned out that he was concerned at the angle at which her bone was healing. He mentioned that she did have great new bone growth, but that he thought the angle was too curved. He wanted us to see a specialist to make sure that it was going to be okay. He said he thought it might be, but didn't want to pass off on it as a "family practice guy." Luckily, he's great friends with the ortho guy in town and got us in immediately. The specialist, who happened to be Dr. Lee, looked at her xrays and determined that they weren't taken at a good enough angle for him to really be able to tell. So he took some more. I didn't get copies of those ones :( But he said that because the first ones were taken while she was laying down, they accentuated the angle and that the ones he took straight on looked great. And, DRUMROLL please :) We get the cast of JULY 3, in only EIGHT more days! And the radiologist there gave us a great compliment :) He said that by three weeks, most body casts reek, and that ours smelled pretty good and we were doing an amazing job with it (to which I couldn't help but recoil a little because she DOES stink, horribly. I wonder what the others smell like...)!
I cannot even describe the happiness that overcame me when I found out that our baby was gonna get her legs back! And a bath! And her legs back! I am so happy and grateful for the blessings that we have received during this hard time for our family. So many friends have brought us treats and things for Addy to play with and her little friends have been so sweet to her. I need to make sure and get pictures of her and her friends to post :) Today, a little girl whose birthday is only 5 days before Addy's came over and brought her some puzzles for her to borrow. They were pounding it and high fiving each other. It was seriously the cutest thing in the world. Another of her little pals came over and sat outside with her and put up with Addy constantly yelling her name wanting her attention lol. We have felt so blessed and supported. The end is in sight!

Addy's friend Lexi broke her leg the day before Addy...talk about crazy! And Lexi's cousin Daniel is getting his cast off soon! Poor broken kiddos!
 Going to feed the ducks with Roz and Baby Carter :) They all look so thrilled lol

 Addy loves being on the floor crawling and rolling around. She's starting to maybe become more independent...

Well I'll have more pictures soon, but wanted to update while I could :) Love you all! Cloud nine is a happy place!

1 comment:

  1. YAY! Best news ever! She's so cute with her crazy hair and laying on the floor crawling around! I bet she can't wait to run again!

    ReplyDelete