The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Thursday, July 25, 2013

An Adventure I Could Have Lived Without...

This post may be kind of boring. But I have decided to make blog books instead of trying to journal all the time. I am a much better blogger. And I want to remember this day. July 23, 2013. Scott was working graduation all day. Until 10 in the evening. It was pay day. And because of our septic emergency, I had half my food budget for July. So I was OUT of food. Like, Addy and I ate animal cracker and cheese for lunch. I was also out of size 3 diapers, I was on my last roll of tp, and my last package of wipes. Yikes, right? So I figured, aw, what the heck? I can do Winco with two kids. I'm super mom. Two kids is nothing compared to 14. I can so handle this. So at 5 PM we set out. I think I should just organize this post into a list of mistakes...lol.
Mistake #1: Leaving at 5 PM (this would put us home around 7, when the bedtime grumpies come out) with two kids under two. We boarded the wicked awesome Mini Van and headed to Idaho Falls, about 30 minutes away. I figured I might as well go to the Walmart in IF because I would already be there. So I got the girls all loaded. 
Mistake #2: I knew that my card was not in my wallet. We had taken it out days before so I wouldn't have to take my whole wallet to the splash park. However, I had given it to Scott and hadn't previously located it. I decided that it would be fine. I would just use the other card and then transfer money. No harm done. So I left. All of this sounds not so bad. My mistake was in ignoring that nagging feeling that I should check the drawer for my card. And I ignored it.
Mistake #3: I had removed the Despicable Me disc from the van. I grabbed Cars instead, thinking Addy may like to watch a new movie. Wrong. I spent the entire drive to Walmart listening to Addy saying, "Me, mom! Me!" Which  is her pet name for Despicable Me. So then, being a good mom and wanting to instill the "no whining" value, I turned off the movie all together. Then I was stubborn. That was a crappy 30 minute ride.
Mistake #4: This mistake is actually not my mistake. This one belongs to the men who design grocery carts. I blame men because clearly, if a woman had done it, the things would be big enough to hold groceries, a toddler, and a baby. Addy rode in the cart, and I carried Ellie. She's only 15 pounds. No biggie. Right?
Mistake #5: I gather my items. Upon making it to the check stand I realize, I DO NOT HAVE MY WALLET. No card. No cash. No check book (which, as Mistake #6) I had taken out of the diaper bag so that addy wouldn't find it. Luckily, the lady at the register was older and super nice. She gave me a receipt and kept my cart at customer service for me so I could go home and get my wallet. A half hour away. 
Mistake #7: I wanted so badly to surprise Scott with already doing the grocery shopping so he wouldn't have to help me on his day off that I was stubborn. If I were smart I would have said, forget it, I'll come back later. And gone to the store Wednesday. No. I didn't do that. I drove all the way home and all the way back. 
Smart Choice #1: When I was at home, I grabbed a sucker for Addy. 
Smart Choice #2: I saved that sucker for the ride home.
Smart Choice #3: While in Walmart after purchasing our stuff, I bought Addy a $1 burger at McDonalds in there and then fed it to her in the backseat while feeding the baby. Everyone was fed and happy (except mom, who, quite frankly, was in a very crappy mood). 
Mistake #8: Upon reaching Winco I realized that I had put Addy in her seat to eat and hadn't buckled her in so that she could lean over to me to take a bite while I nursed. And I never buckled her. No wonder she was saying, "buckle you, buckle you" the whole way to Winco. I thought she was stating that she had been buckled. Oh no. Whoops. 
Mistake #9: I let Addy take Pooh an Piglet in with us. This wasn't that bad, other than for the ten people who had to pick them up for her when I hadn't noticed her dropping them...
Mistake #10: Carried Ellie. Through Winco, 15 pounds turns into 50. My arm was aching. I know, I know, get in shape. And maybe that's mistake #11...I'm fat and horribly out of shape lol...or at least felt it that night!
Mistake #11: Let Addy get out of the cart while I loaded groceries onto the belt. She was starting to get antsy and I didn't want a scene. She was actually very good and stayed by me and didn't touch anything. I was pleasantly surprised. The mistake was evident when I had to put her back in her cart so that I could load groceries (I didn't want her getting run over in that cramped space). I reached a new low that day lol. She would NOT sit in the cart, and here I am, holding a baby in one arm, trying to get my toddler to sit in the cart. I turned around and handed Ellie to the lady behind me, asking her to hold her while I got Addy in. YIKES. Clearly I'd lost my mind. Drove with one child unbuckled and then handed my baby to a total stranger. I hope she judged me. 
Mistake #12: Having a cold. I didn't smell Addy's diaper until I was buckling her in. And she had already leaked. That was one poopy diaper. So I had poo on her clothes, it got on her seat and the van floor where I laid her. Yuck. 
Mistake #13: Not using the bathroom while I was at home. By the time we got home I had to go so bad I thought I would die lol. 
We got home and I left Addy in the car with a movie while I put the frozen groceries away. Ellie was sleeping, so I took Addy in first and quickly put her in PJ's and put her to bed. Then I went and got Ellie and fed her. She had napped, so she was wide awake. I then finished putting groceries away. Ellie eventually went to sleep. Like, at 11 after Scott was home. That was an interesting night. I am NEVER taking both girls to Winco again. Unless Scott can come. However, on the bright side, we had an adventure. And one I'm not likely to forget! lol. And I have food in my fridge. And my cupboards. And I don't have to go shopping for another month. So it wasn't that bad really. And if I hadn't forgotten my wallet and had to drive an extra hour it would have been great. So maybe I will...now that I know all the mistakes I made, I can make next time better. Morning trip. Make sure I have my wallet with all my cards, just in case. Bring a sucker and make sure Addy's fed. Bring the front pack so I don't have to carry Ellie on an arm and do everything one handed. Buckle my babies. And then we should be golden...I think I can do that... :)

No comments:

Post a Comment