The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Saturday, July 12, 2014

Routines

Six weeks ago, I had a baby. And this is the first weekend we have had at home on our own. We've had so many visitors and guests. It's been helpful. It's been fun. It's been good. But I am SO ready to establish some routines. I always say that my kids are creatures of routine. But really that's just my cover. Really, I'm the one who can't stand randomness. 
Anyone who knows me knows that I like a plan. Spontaneity isn't attractive to me. It never has been. I don't like surprises. I have no clue why. I just don't. I like having a daily schedule. It's flexible(ish) but I like things to happen in the same order. Things just run more smoothly for me when I have a plan, a routine, a set sequence of chores/tasks. So yes, I'm the routine junkie. But my kids like them too :) And they've really helped in adjusting to the new baby.
After we had the baby (obviously) our routines got thrown off. Addy was the one who had the biggest adjustment. She started being naughty to get attention and learned how to push every button I have. While my mom was here, we really focused on setting a routine for bedtime and naptime. These were my hardest times. Addy wouldn't stay in bed, she'd throw fits, she'd spend two hours in her room playing but wouldn't nap. I thought maybe she didn't need naps but then by 4 she'd be absolutely monstrous. By the time Scott and I got any time alone together we'd both be too tired to enjoy it (welcome to parenthood, right?). Anyway, my mom was super helpful. I think Addy needed someone other than me to enforce the new routine at first and I am so thankful to my mom for the help. She explained in a very matter-of-fact way that it was nap/bedtime for Addy, but not for mom and dad. Then she'd read a book to Addy and then let her read it for a few minutes. She would then go back in and have Addy put the book away and climb into bed. And guess what? Addy took a nap. Three days in a row. Then my mom let me try it :) I felt like a little kid again. And in a way, I am. I have no clue what I'm doing. And my hormones are so messed up that anything is enough to overwhelm me lol. At bedtime we would start by having a small snack and reading scriptures. Then brushing teeth, saying prayers, and then right into the same routine as nap time. Addy loved that too. Anyway, the last 3 days my mom was here, I did bedtime and naptime with Addy and it went like clockwork. I was worried that when my we brought the kids home from my mom's they would be back to their old mischief, but they weren't! In fact, Addy has been so obedient and kind to Ellie and helpful with Grace. I think it helped her a lot to have to share with Jet for 2 weeks ;) Bedtime is still a dream. I've even moved to letting her read a few books after our story time and letting her decide when to go to sleep. She can read as long as she stays in her bed. And guess what? It's usually no longer than 5 minutes before she decides it's bedtime. For us, routine is golden, apparently. I know that Addy thrives on it when she'll say, "Mom, it's time for lunch and then you'll read me a story and then I can read a story and then it's bedtime!" She just likes knowing what is going to happen. She likes predicability. She gets it from her OCD mother...
Ellie likes routines too, but she's not as picky as Addy. She knows that when we go into her room and turn on the white noise (trying to wean her off it...wish us luck) that it's time for prayers. She folds her arms the whole time :) I love it. And then as soon as we say "amen" the thumb goes in her mouth (not looking forward to the day we try and wean that) and she's ready to go down. Her adjustment issue with the baby is just attention. She's so quiet and entertains herself during the day that sometimes I just forget about her. I mean, I don't. But she definitely gets the least attention. Addy talks at/to me all day and Grace has to eat every two hours and Ellie...she just kind of floats in and out. I need to work on this. I've started having a time when I read books just to Ellie. Addy gets to go play in the playroom or play a game on my phone for 10 minutes while I just be with Ellie. And it's been nice. That's helped her a lot. She's also quite the daddy's girl. And she's at his favorite age, so he manages to give her plenty of attention when he's home. 
Grace needs to learn to sleep at night! That's the routine I want her to have...unfortunately, you can't reason with a 6 week old baby. But if I could, I would tell her that she has to eat on both sides until she's all the way full without falling into the world's deepest sleep that only lasts 1.5 hours...That baby will not stay awake for a full feeding! And I can't wake her up, no matter how hard I try. The last couple nights she's slept one longer stretch at night...like 4 hours. But usually it's more like 2-3. But she's getting to the point where she's awake longer during the day so I'm hoping she'll naturally transition to longer stretches at night. She's also learning to smile on purpose, which makes midnight, 1:45, 3:00, and 6:00 feedings a little more bearable...
Cleaning. That's the other routine I have got to get back on. I have a daily list of things to do so that my house stays clean all the time. There's always some mess with 3 kids but the floors are consistently vacuumed and the kitchen and bathrooms are sanitized. Anyway, I've got to get back on that now that we are on our own again. 
Working out. This one is pretty much impossible. I really think I would literally die if I had to wake up before my kids to work out. But by 8 when they're all asleep, I'm so exhausted that the thought of working out makes me physically ill. Nap time is okay except then when am I going to shower? I don't want to get up in the morning and shower and do my hair only to ruin it and get all stinky halfway through the day...so I'm still working on figuring out the best time for exercise...half of me would rather be fat, but that's the half of me that I want to lose... :)
Ok, this was kind of a random post. And here I am, saying I don't like random. But I wanted to remember these thoughts. Maybe if my goals are written down I'll remember them and actually accomplish them. To routine!

No comments:

Post a Comment