The Carters

The Carters
Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Monday, July 21, 2014

No Rest For the Wicked

Sunday. A day to renew our spirits and refocus on life. A day to rest from all our labors. I must be doing something wrong...

It seems like to me Sunday is a day of harder work than the rest of the week! I have to get myself and my three children up, dressed, fed, and groomed by 8:30. And then we go to church for 4 hours (I play piano for choir after church) and wrestle our active, and then tired children. By 1 I'm absolutely exhausted.

Yesterday was one of those Sundays where you just wish it would be Monday...Forgive me for my honesty. I woke up at 4AM to, not the baby crying, but my husband, puking his guts out. Awesome. So I got him some water and mouthwash and got back in bed. Took a while to fall asleep, then woke up to the baby being hungry at 5:30 or so. Rolled out of bed at 7 to find my husband not in bed. He was out in the living room with Addy who had been up since ... way too early. Great, I thought. She's going to be tired. Rushed to the church to practice the organ duet for the choir number that day. Came home to Scott still feeling very sick and realized that I would be taking the kids to church alone. All three of them. There was no way he was going to be able to keep them.

About 8:40 I rushed in to get Grace up and dressed and fed before leaving. I was so going to be late. And while I was changing her she pooped. Projectile style. All over my white shirt (serious?!) and the carpet and herself. Awesome. So by the time we walked into church it was 9:05. And I was impressed by my speed... The kids did okay. Ellie was grumpy but a kind woman in my ward took Grace for the first two hours. I had several people offer to help me. A wonderful friend offered to play the piano for choir practice so I didn't have to rush home, put the kids down and turn around and come back. I love her for it.

Came home to a still sick husband and later my kids both got fevers too. Ugh. It was just a long day. Scott usually helps so much with the kids Sunday. But he was so sick. I hope and pray I don't get it. Luckily everyone is fine today, so it must have been a 24 hour thing and I hope it passed me over.

Last night as I fell into bed at midnight after feeding the baby I thought, Sunday is supposed to be a day of rest. What am I doing wrong? I was feeling frustrated. And then I thought of the Savior, who was questioned and accused for working on the Sabbath when He healed the man waiting by the pool of Bethesda. When questioned about whether or not he should be "working" on the Sabbath he said, "My Father worketh hitherto, and I work." Serving the Lord, or working, on the Sabbath is the example the Savior taught. In another situation, when questioned about healing on the Sabbath, the Savior asked, "Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill?" And those questioning him had no answer. And then I realized. It's not a day of rest, per say. It's a day to do the Lord's work.

And just look at my work. It's beautiful.



No comments:

Post a Comment