That being said, lately I have been thinking a lot about the government assistance programs. Like, probably excessively a lot. I have had it suggested to me before that maybe I just don't know very much about them or that I am being judgmental in my thinking. Let me state right now that I do not hate people on food stamps, ObamaCare, or medicaid. In fact, there are some people that I really love that use the assistance these programs provide. That being said, I am very intimately aware of the many ins and outs of the programs. And let me start by saying that I believe that these assistance programs are necessary. I understand that people fall on hard times and need time to get back up. I understand that some people weren't raised by parents like mine with emphasis on education and hard work and need temporary (keyword) help. I know that there are some people out there struggling to get by who could really benefit from help. I believe in giving to the poor and helping the needy. With all my heart. However, the way it's being done is vastly wrong.
Food stamps. Sigh. Let me start by saying that I have known several people throughout my college life that have them. I'm not here to debate whether they need them or not. I'm not here to debate that at all. But the thing is that many of these people don't even think they themselves need as much as they are allotted. There have been several times where I have been offered groceries for cash. I think this is completely wrong and dishonest. I have known people who simply give away groceries or go grocery shopping with someone and buy their food with their own excess food stamps. Obviously, the amount given for food stamps is too high. It doesn't help people get back on their feet. It hurts them. I have seriously talked to people who are scared to start their career job after college because their food stamps will go away and they won't be able to afford the same food budget for their family. Not because their family needs that much money for food, but because they have just become used to that high budget. Who wants to get a job when they then have to start paying for their lives? Nobody, that's who. And that's why welfare users have gone up. And why isn't anything being done about it? Why are classes not offered or even required for these people to learn to write resumes and job hunt and interview? Because that's what the government wants. Dependence. Entitlement. Laziness. I know that some people didn't have an education or parents who cared or whatever. But people have come to this country with nothing and become something. Have worked hard and provided for their families. My ancestors among them. They didn't get medicaid. They didn't get food stamps. They planted gardens. They educated themselves. And that's what America is missing. They are getting something for nothing.
Medicaid. I get it. Having babies is expensive while going to school. Surgeries or children with special needs are expensive and hard to pay for. And there are some people who really do need the help. And should get it. But living here in college town where everyone is having babies, and doing it for free, I think I can honestly say that it is overused.
ObamaCare. I can't right now, or I'll throw up. Okay, maybe I will. The website that 600 million has gone towards doesn't work. 10% of people signing who try to sign up actually get through the online process. Don't believe me or think I'm going without resources? Just click here to go to a video about it. I don't condone all of this man's language, but he's absolutely right. Then there's the whole "you can keep your plan if you like it" lie. Complete and utter lie. You can keep your plan if and only if nothing about it has changed since 2010. NOTHING can have changed. Like for example, my plan's premiums went down. I have the best insurance of anyone I've ever met. Like, ever. 90/10 coverage, no deductibles. And my premiums dropped $20 per month this last year. Which means my plan won't be grandfathered in. And then my insurance company will be given a list of mandated requirements they must provide. And if they don't: they have to drop the plan. So what will happen? My premiums will skyrocket. And ya know what? I'll pay it. Because I like to choose. I like to be self reliant. I like to think for myself. Don't believe me? Just look here. I love when she says, "Yes, I know you can bridge to happy place." They are so good at saying, 'we've insured so many previously uninsured people.' Yes, and you have lied and cheated and deceived to do it. And thank you, but I want no part in it.
So what's the point of this post you ask? I have been thinking a lot about what I want my children to know. What they need to know to live their lives. What they need to understand and the values they need to hold dear. And in today's world, I think that the value they best need to understand when it comes to temporal things is this: self reliance.
My children will learn that it is better to go without than to ask others to pay for your life. They will learn that it is not okay to feel entitled to anything. They do not deserve assistance. They do not deserve health insurance. They do not deserve help from the church. They are not entitled to anything. If they want a baby, they'd better work hard and save hard. They want to go on a mission? They'd better work hard and save hard. They want to buy a car. Again, work hard and save hard. You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything. I really, truly believe that. In an ideal world, people would go to school and not work because they want good grades. In the real world, my kids better work through college. It teaches hard work. It teaches self reliance. My husband and I worked hard so that I could tell my children to do the same. Would we have qualified for food stamps and medicaid? Absolutely. But did we apply? No. And why? Because we were two capable people. We got jobs and we saved. We paid for student insurance and paid for our own kids. We went without nice dinners out and new clothing. We went without driving nice cars. We went without steak and other novelties. We lived within our means. The point is: My children will watch me be self reliant, and they will know the value. And when I die, they'd better say that at my funeral. "My mom taught me to stretch money and go without and prioritize. She taught me how to be responsible for me. She taught me how to self reliant." Also, it wouldn't offend me if they said that I taught them how to start in a corner and work 'til it's done. Or start at the top and work to the bottom. That's what I'm gonna say at my parents' funerals! lol
To end this post, I'd like to use this quote from Howard W. Hunter, a former prophet in my church. "The government will take from the “haves” and give to the “have nots.” Both have last their freedom. Those who “have,” lost their freedom to give voluntarily of their own free will and in the way they desire. Those who “have not,” lost their freedom because they did not earn what they received. They got “something for nothing,” and they will neither appreciate the gift nor the giver of the gift."
This is America today. And it will probably be America tomorrow. But it will not be my family. Have a good day all!

I took time to read your blog because your title caught my eye. I have to agree on the obamacare is scaring the crap out of me. My stomach turns and twists every time I think about it. We don't have insurance and we can't afford it. Next year we will be paying the fee each month because we can't afford to get insurance. Yes we are on state food help and they started giving us $700 dollars for 6 people in our family for food. That's crazy! We told the state we don't want hand outs we just need enough help with food for our family. We are now getting about $330 now. My husband works two jobs and any side job he can find to support us and still needed help with food. I totally agree with you on every thing you have said. Thank you for your wonderful post! Glad there are more people who think like this. Best way to go about life is to work for what you want. Not to be lazy and wait for someone to hand it to you. Our kids will grow up and learn to work for what they want. If they want certain appropriate clothes, a car, school and so on. They need to get a job and work for it.
ReplyDeleteThe really sad part when we asked them to lower the food the lady wasn't sure if she could do that. She has never been asked to lower the food before. Since it has been lowered we've been smarter with our purchases. We did get a good food storage built up so far from having so much money on our food card. It's nice not to have so much. Wanted to share this as well.
ReplyDelete