Some claimed that the dress code and honor code at BYU Idaho ruined their testimonies. I apologize to those people. My heart aches for them because they lost something that is truly precious. I won't say whether I think that claim is justified because I don't know their individual situation, but I will say that the dress and grooming standards and honor code have done nothing but encourage me in my quest to be more like the Savior.
There were some comments about the president of the university surely having better things to do than noticing the student body's dress code violations. To those people I say: grow up. It's part of his job. Someone has to enforce the dress code. Does he have many and great responsibilities? Yes, he does. One of which is maintaining the spirit and culture of BYU Idaho. And guess what? The dress code fits rather nicely under there.
Then there were the people who were saying that the honor code is a method of brainwash. That we are just programmed to blindly follow leaders. To those people I say, you know nothing about me. I followed the dress code. I support it. I agree with it. I think it should be more strictly enforced, if anything. And guess what? I don't blindly follow anybody. I have a very sacred relationship with my Savior and I believe that when we obey his commandments and be true to our word, we are blessed. I have asked and received answers of Him, several of which resulted in a rock solid testimony of the Honor Code. Do I wear shorts? Flip flops? Heck yes. All the time. At my home. At the store. At the park. All Summer long. Does this make me a bad person? No. But when I walk onto that campus, and I'm graduated btw, I still honor the dress code. Does it make BYU Idaho students bad people when they wear these items at their homes or other public places? No. But here's what the trouble is with not following the dress code. It's not fighting against blind obedience. It's not disagreeing with forced standards. The problem is, the dress code is there and has been forever. And you. signed. it. Whether you agree with it or not, you agreed to live by it while at campus here in Rexburg. So do it. People of integrity are the ones who keep their word. So live true to yours.
To the people who commented that they have a hard time with their tithing dollars going towards something they don't agree with...learn the Spirit of the law of tithing. Here's how it works. The Lord asks that we give 10% of our income to Him to be used for His purposes. We sustain the prophet and general authorities to act in His name and lead His church. They decide how tithing money is used, by revelation. The minute you write that check and turn it in to the bishop, that money is the Lord's. You don't get a say about where it goes. That's the Lord's job. It's not your tithing. It's His.
But one of the things that makes me most sad about this whole thing is this: Here is a man who worthily holds the Priesthood and has spent years of his life serving the students at BYU Idaho. Here is a man who served for years of his life as a general authority. Here is a man who clearly does nothing for himself, but for the Lord. And "active, temple recommend holding members of the church" (their words, not mine) are criticizing and accusing him. In public. But right there in the temple interview is the question:
- Do you sustain the President of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints as the Prophet, Seer, and Revelator and as the only person on the earth who possesses and is authorized to exercise all priesthood keys? Do you sustain members of the First Presidency and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles as prophets, seers, and revelators? Do you sustain the other General Authorities and local authorities of the Church?
Well. Do you? And if not...
The last problem I'll talk about having had with this is simple. How many four year universities are there in this country? 2,870 according to this site. You don't like the rules here? Don't agree with them? Go somewhere else. And why don't these students go somewhere else? I'll tell you exactly why. Because here at BYU Idaho their education is GREATLY subsidized. Because they feel entitled to the blessings and education that they can receive from BYU Idaho but don't want to follow the guidelines that the university has set. Should a university tell you how you can and cannot dress? When they are paying for half of every student's education (and keep in mind, those tithing dollars are no longer yours) they absolutely can. It's just like the Doctrine and Covenants says. "When we obtain any blessing from God, it is by obedience to the law upon which it is predicated." If you want this blessing of education at a church school, then obey the standards and laws that are laid out for those who receive it. If you don't like it, go to one of the other 2869 schools in the US.
But here is the part that makes me really sad. There were (and always are on these kinds of articles and such) several comments from members not of our faith. And guess what? They got the feel that "Mormons" don't even follow all their own rules and don't believe in them. So why should they? The picture this paints of the church as a whole is completely inaccurate. And this breaks my heart, sickens me. Yes, there are judgmental people. Everywhere. And nobody is perfect. But I have never felt judged. I have only felt loved. I have only felt supported. So maybe I'm lucky. Or maybe I just choose not to be offended. Or maybe I'm perfect...(but I'm betting on one or both of the previous options). I love this church with all my heart. I love BYU Idaho with all my heart. I love the dress and grooming standards and I am grateful for a president of the university who will stand up for what is right. Who will expect students to do as they say they will. Who will hold them to their word. So thank you, President Clark.

Well said Shiloh! I am proud to know you.
ReplyDeleteAwesome, well said! I agree with you 100%. Thank you for writing this!
ReplyDeleteThanks for your thoughts
ReplyDelete