As I've been pondering and wondering about this lately, I had some amazing friends give me some amazing help over the last couple of weeks. I had a friend organize a girl's night. I don't usually do girl's nights, and to be honest, I'm not really a fan. If my husband is home I would rather hang out with him. Sorry ladies :) But I really like this friend and she was so nervous about how everything was going to go, so I went. And guess what? I loved it. She showed me by example how to step out of my comfort zone and she made me feel wanted and loved. It was so simple. But I really needed that at the time. She also talked to me on the phone for a while the day before and that was so huge. I really just needed to chat for a minute. She also asked me to pick something up for her because I was in town and I loved that because it made me feel needed :)
Then I had a friend watch my kids so that my husband and I could attend the sealing of another couple that just adopted a baby. We were able to do the sound for their fundraising concert and be a part of the amazing blessings that ensued. We were so grateful to be invited! That was another example to me. Thinking of others. She invited us to something to special and sacred and I was so grateful. And then my other friend who watched my kids who were honestly kind of grumpy that day. Ellie and her little boy are a week apart and they, for whatever reason, do not get along! They are just competing for attention I think. And she loves Ellie anyway, and that means so much to me! She is patient with her and she is able to laugh it off and be understanding. And I so appreciate that.
That night (the night of the sealing), Scott was working late for a show. Grace had been teething and had been having a hard time of it. Four teeth all coming in at once! She kept having these symptoms and I kept pushing them off as just teething. Diaper rash, diarrhea, drooliness, fever, sleeplessness, smaller appetite, etc. But then she ended up getting a weird rash and throwing up and I kind of panicked lol. I thought, "this poor baby is miserable and I need to help her if it's something that she needs help with." So I called my poor friend up and asked if she wouldn't mind staying with my other two kids while I took Grace to Urgent Care. She was at my house in 5 minutes with her 36 week belly and her own daughter. And then...my car wouldn't start. At that point, I just resigned myself to another miserable night, but my sweet friend handed me the keys to her car and sent me off. And Grace ended up having a bad ear infection so I was gone for a while because I had to get a prescription and Walmart was pretty slow. She was so kind and patient and willing. I was so grateful!
The next day (rough week, huh?) Ellie was having tummy issues. The poor kid has struggled with constipation since she was Grace's age. Nothing I change or do seems to matter. But this time it was seriously the worst it's ever been. She wouldn't move, wouldn't walk, couldn't sleep, was screaming and crying and sweating and trying to push but she was miserable. It was seriously awful. I would be lying if I didn't say that I cried plenty with her that day. My amazing friend had some suppositories (Scott was working late again) and brought them to me in between her busy schedule with catering an event and working on a remodel. She was so willing to help me and interrupt what she was doing to help my baby. I was seriously just so thankful.
And then on Sunday I whined to my amazing friend who directs the ward choir (I accompany). She is like my Rexburg Momma. She listens to me whine, tells me if I'm legitimately right or need to get over it, and gives me ideas on how to solve my problems. She's also so understanding of my less than perfect performance. :) I love her so much!
I have amazing friends. They are such amazing examples to me. I don't want to embarrass them and put their names but maybe I will because, after all, this is my journal and I want to remember! ha! So thank you Mallory, Courtney, Lisa, Marguritte, Nicole and Pam. You guys saved my life that weekend. I am so grateful to each of you and to all my other friends as well. I live in such an amazing area. I feel like anyone is willing to do anything for you. I have been humbled to have to ask, but I have been overwhelmed by the support and love I've felt. I have some work to do in the friend department, but I am working on it, and with these examples, I can't go wrong!
And, as a post script, I pray every day that my girls will have people in their lives, when they are grown up and married and away from home, who will love them and treat them like my friends treat me. I would be so comforted. Because I know how it feels to live far away from mommy (they probably won't be momma's girls like I am) and to be raising a young family. And ya need help. I pray that they will find people in their lives like those I've found in mine.
There are also so many friends who have done so many things for me that aren't listed. I love and notice you all too :) I just had quite the weekend to record :)

No comments:
Post a Comment